Thursday, July 7, 2011

Elevator Protocol

I do not consider myself an avid elevator rider. rarely am I in buildings that are even big enough to require an elevator, but recently I just started taking classes at the GVSU downtown Grand Rapids campus and to be quite honest 7 flights of stairs seems a little bit much at 8 in the morning while carrying a backpack so I have taken the elevator. The situation I was faced with today was riding the elevator up a few floors with another student avoiding the dreaded stairs. I got in after him and he asked me what floor I wanted to go to so I said 'floor 7 please and thank you'. now after that you would think that the rest of the work is done by the elevator. but as we are standing there with the floors counting up the urge to strike up a random conversation with him was overwhelming.
what are my obligations as a fellow elevator rider? am I required to stand in awkward silence or do I blurt out "... How about that walk over from the parking garage? quite a trek huh?" and then have the stink eye shot back at me as he grips his gloc in his pocket Thinking that he wishes this superfriendly, and nicely dressed;) older student would shut up and let him spend his 15 second ride up in peace, probably the only peace and quiet he ever gets from the perils of reality. THe dulcid tones of the new age music plays softly and drowns away his morning troubles and I had to ruin it with a social awkwardness. sorry random elevator rider I guess I just dont know what the social expectations are for riding in elevators.
any pointers because I have to spend a lot of time in them over the next year as I continue going to school there?

No comments:

Post a Comment